Monday, August 23, 2010

Uneventful Event

Saturday came and went without incident other than the fact that it marked 2 1/2 years since the girls went home. It seems that's how things are now. Days come and go as they always have. You wake up, look at the calendar and say 'oh yea, today is such 'n such day. Well what are we doing today? Business as usual, ok.' We had a conversation last night. This Saturday will be Kayla's 21st birthday. What are we going to do to celebrate, commemorate, whatever it is we're doing? I don't know. 21? Is she 21 in heaven? Will they have a party? How cool would it be to have a birthday party with Jesus? Grammy, Granny, Maw-Maw (whom she hadn't met until that day in February), Uncle Buck, Uncle Johnny, Aunt Modie, Aunt Doris, Aunt Virginia, Betty Barnes (her favorite 6th grade SS teacher), and the list goes on and on of people who are partying with Kayla. Wow! Not to mention all the Biblical people. And God the Father, her Father, bringing in the cake. What would He say? 'Kayla, I remember thinking of you before I spoke the world into motion. You were, are and forever will be the apple of My eye. I remember the look on your Dad's face when he first saw you. He was freaked out. Doctor asked if he wanted to cut the umbilical cord. He politely declined. Oh, but once they cleaned you up and placed you in your mother's arms, the joy that was on her face. The love and joy that your parents have for you is just a raindrop in the ocean compared to the love and joy that I have for you. Happy Birthday Kayla! I love you, my precious daughter.' God, will it ever get easier? Is it supposed to? I am amazed at the impact Kayla and Alicia made and are still making on our world. I miss your smile, your laughter, all your crazy dreams. I can still see you standing on the stairs looking at me as you were heading to the library. "I love you, Kayla." "I know, I love you, too." You actually said it. I knew you did but it was this unspoken thing between us for some reason. Thank you so much for saying those words that day. Hey Kayla, I love you! Happy Early 21st Birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment