Wednesday, October 5, 2016

What to Say When You Don't Know What to Say

If you could write a letter to anyone, what would you write? What would you say? I was asked this question this week. I gave my answer rather quickly. Why would I know what to say to someone I haven't spoken to in years and yet struggle to say what needs to be said to people I see every day? 

One of the things I've learned over the years is that words aren't always necessary to communicate one's heart. The power of presence often speaks volumes. For most of us this struggle is real because we can't handle silence well. There needs to be some noise. Something has to be said. Usually our awkward silence is broken by an awkward but well meaning joke. That's not bad but does the silence need to be broken? 

The best thing Job's friends did for him was to sit with him in silence. Once they opened their mouths, it was all down hill for them. Blame God, blame yourself, blame God and yourself. Not the most productive chapters of the Bible to read. 

Sometimes the best things to say when you don't know what to say is nothing. Let your presence be enough. Let your hugs speak louder than words. Let your shared tears bring peace and comfort. Yes, God still speaks through us today but sometimes we represent Him best when we say nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment