Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Chasing or Being Dragged

    The name of my blog is Chasing God's Heart. Today a question entered my brain. Am I chasing God's heart or is He dragging me toward Him? Am I running toward Him or away? Or am I standing still and hoping He's here with me?     
    God chases some and He waits for others. He chased Adam. He came to the Garden even after He knew about the fruit. He asked the first rhetorical question ever asked. Adam, where are you? He knew. He's God, of course He knew. Adam was hiding but maybe Adam didn't know he was lost. But God chased after him. The relationship had been broken. Not only Adam's relationship with God but humanity's relationship with God was forever broken. But God didn't give up on Adam or on us. He pursued Adam and He continues to pursue us.
    In the story of the Prodigal Son, we see that sometimes God waits. The father in this parable represents God the Father. Was He a good father or a negligent father? I mean He gave the younger son what he asked for. Basically the younger son said I can't wait for you to die, I want what's mine now. The father could have said no, but he didn't. We don't know anything about the conversation other than the son asked and the father gave. The father let the son go. Was it a good idea? Was it best for the son? Was dad simply a pushover? We don't know. All we know is the son got what he wanted. 
    Do we sometimes get what we want? Yes. Is it always best. No. But we think it is. We enjoy the freedom it gives. We enjoy the power we have. We simply like it. 
    Just as God didn't give up on Adam and chased after him, God the Father doesn't give up on the Prodigal. He waits for us to come to our senses. He doesn't become embarrassed by our wanderings. The father didn't ridicule the younger son when he returned home. He welcomed him with open arms full of unconditional love.
    So whether I'm chasing or being chased or if God's just waiting, I know He loves me. He is for me and best of all He is with me. 

It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will never leave or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment