Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Seeing Is Believing

I've lived in Missouri longer than anywhere else in my life. Not quite a third of my life has been spent here. The slogan for Missouri is the Show Me State. The background behind this is varied historically but the basic thought is...you can say all you want but I'm from Missouri so you're going to have to show me.
It's interesting how that applies to so much of our lives. That's not necessarily a good thing. We even use it in our approach to God sometimes. Remember Thomas after Jesus' resurrection. (MJC version) "Unless I can see Jesus with my own eyes, I can't believe what you're telling me. You gotta show me" I can relate to that. But is seeing enough? It was for Thomas. Jesus appeared, stretched out his hands and Thomas responded "My Lord and My God". I haven't seen the scars. I haven't heard the Master's voice. Jesus made a promise to me, to each of us, that day."Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29.
So maybe we have seen; not with our eyes but with our hearts. "God demonstrated (showed) His love for us in this way, while we were still sinners Christ died for us." We SEE the sunsets and sunrises, the changing of the seasons, the night sky with its diamonds laid against the blackness of the sky. We SEE our love for each other, our spouses, our children, our family, our friends. We SEE lives changed by the power of God.  But to SEE we have to LOOK.
God promised "you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Seeking with our heart not our eyes. That's what faith is. But not just sorta kinda seeking but seeking with all, ALL our heart. At home, I don't seek for things well. I glance but rarely do I seek. If it ain't in plain sight, I say, "Where is such and such in the refrigerator? I don't see it." Well if I had sought for it. Moved things around. Made an effort to find it. It would be there, usually behind the milk. 
God wants us to seek Him. All we have to do is open up our eyes and our hearts. So what are you looking for today? What have you seen? What is it that you are saying to God, I hear You but you gotta show me? Look with your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment