Monday, February 6, 2012

The Curve

Went to see Tim Hawkins, Christian comedian,  Saturday in St. Louis. Picked Stephen up in Paris and went through Mexico (Missouri) to get to STL on Hwy. 15 south. On my way to Paris, I realized I'd have to go around "the curve", Mitchell Curve about 4-5 miles south of Paris. That curve that Alicia lost control of the car and Kayla and she wrecked. That curve was very common, still is. It's an S-curve. Traveled around it at least 4 times a day for over 11 years. After the accident though I began despising that curve. The curve has no personality, no feelings, no memories. Although it wasn't the safest for me, I could go around it with my eyes shut. But over time I had sort of forgotten about it until Saturday. Moving away made a huge difference. I know a lot of people who still take that curve multiple times a day, 5-7 days a week, every month, every year. I wonder if it's become common again for them or if they are like me and memories flood in each time. I pray that it has become common, routine. We all have "curves" in our lives, some physical curves, mental curves, you could call them mile makers. Those times when everything changed for better or for worse. We need them, though we may not always want them. They shaped who we are and who we are becoming. As long as we're here, we are always becoming something more. Hopefully becoming someone more like Christ. I remember that curve all too well, that common curve changed everything. I do hope that one day I will be able to go around that curve without thinking again. Maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment